Johns Hopkins MSEM Review Review
Johns Hopkins University is a renowned private university in Baltimore, Maryland. It is more research-based. The institution was established in 1876 and is named after the American entrepreneur and philanthropist Johns Hopkins.
Applying for MSEM at John Hopkins ?
Talk to Our Experts and find out how we can 3x your Admit Chance
John Hopkins MSEM Introduction
Johns Hopkins University is a renowned private university in Baltimore, Maryland. It is more research-based. The institution was established in 1876 and is named after the American entrepreneur and philanthropist Johns Hopkins. Outstanding engineering, science and maths graduates from all over the world i.e. from Australia to India, Canada to California, come to pursue the MSEM degree at JHU’s renowned Whiting School of Engineering. John Hopkins MSEM is a small cohort-based program designed to create strong networks for life. Do you see yourself starting a company or a social enterprise? Creating new technology? Working in Silicon Valley or a top consulting firm? If yes, then Johns Hopkins MSEM is for you.
John Hopkins MSEM Class Profile
The class of John Hopkins MSEM consists of students from various countries, including California, Canada, India, Australia, etc. It reflects the cultural diversity of the classroom, as every student will bring different cultural backgrounds to the class. Moreover, these students will have a minimum of 2 years of work experience which will help them gain a holistic understanding of the businesses around the globe. In addition, it will also enhance your perspective as the class discussions will be full of miscellaneous viewpoints.
Average Work Ex
John Hopkins Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate of John Hopkins MSEM is 11.1%, which means that the school is extremely selective. It is difficult to crack the admissions process, but you can be among the 11.1% of the students that form the John Hopkins MSEM classroom. For this, pay close attention to the admission documents that you will send. The content that you will write in the LORs, resumes, SOPs, essays, etc., should clearly demonstrate your strengths. They should justify your deservance for this program. You can take an expert’s opinion in this regard as they will help you fabricate your abilities and experiences most appealingly.
Acceptance Rate – 11.1%
Program and Curriculum of John Hopkins MSEM
John Hopkins MSEM program offers a balanced number of engineering technical concentration and management courses, positioning you to innovate technically while building your professional acumen. All MSEM students will participate in a cohort program, where all students in an entering class will take a suite of management courses with required courses taken as a cohort. All Management Cohorts begin anew in the fall semester. The Center for Leadership Education has constructed a program tailored to the needs of future engineering managers.
- Chemical Product Design
- Systems Engineering
- Space Systems Engineering, Engineering for Professionals
- Strategies in Accounting and Finance
- Strategies for Innovation and Growth
- Professional Presentations
- The Practice of Consulting
- Managing People/Resolving Conflict
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Pursuing MSEM, you will get to participate in many clubs and organizations at John Hopkins. Through these opportunities, you have plenty of chances to apply the knowledge gained in the classroom. These activities will also enhance your managerial skills, such as leadership, organisational, communication, etc. For the students pursuing courses related to management, the university also has a number of projects like NATO Climate Change, Dynata Voice Services, Dynata Vendor Management, Danfoss Rooftop Cooling, etc. In addition, there are various cultural and other relevant clubs like the Caribbean Cultural Society at JHU, Filipino Students Association, Business in China, etc. You can join as per your interests.
- NATO Climate Change
- Dynata Voice Services
- Dynata Vendor Management
- Danfoss Rooftop Cooling
- Brewers Association of Maryland Marketing Strategy
- African Students Association
- Bangladeshi-American Student Association
- Brazilian Students Association
- Caribbean Cultural Society at JHU
- Chai at JHU
- Chinese Students Association
- Filipino Students Association
- Cuban-American Undergraduate Students Association
- Japanese American Student Association
- Vietnamese Students Association
Other Relevant Clubs
- Amnesty International
- Business in China
- College Democrats
- College Republicans
- Foreign Affairs Symposium
- Global China Connection
- Hopkins Podcast on Foreign Affairs (POFA)
- JHU Model UN Conference (JHUMUNC)
- Johns Hopkins Undergraduate Debate Council
Eligibility and Requirements (How to get into John Hopkins MSEM)
- Bachelor’s Degree– An accredited bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline (or the equivalent of such a degree)
- Work Experience– A minimum of two years of relevant full-time work experience in the field
- GPA Required -A GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B or above) in the latter half of undergraduate studies
Document Related to the Application
Following are the application requirements that you need to fulfil.
- Letters of Recommendation (3) – You are required to submit 3 letters of recommendation for John Hopkins MSEM. Please note that these recommendation letters must not come from a family member or a friend. Professional letters of recommendation must be from a professional referee under whom you have worked; the position of the referee does not matter. An academic letter of recommendation must come from your college professor or principal.
- GRE* – A GRE score of 320-340 is considered excellent and hence increases your chances of getting selected.
- English Proficiency – For John Hopkins MSEM, students are required to be proficient in English. To study this program, you must be able to read, write, and speak the language properly. All the lectures will be conducted in English, so you will need to understand the speaker/ professors quickly and make notes simultaneously. So, the applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of their English proficiency. John Hopkins accepts both TOEFL and IELTS.
- TOEFL -minimum score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet-based)
- IELTS – a band score of 7 is required
- Statement of Purpose – You are required to submit a statement of purpose in which you are required to mention your academic, extracurricular, and professional endeavours, which have shaped you as a person, as well as motivated you for John Hopkins MSEM. The best way to structure your SOP is to make it as personalised as possible and stay away from the general stuff. In this regard, it is also a good idea to take professional help, as the experts of this area will help you make your SOP as crisp and precise as possible. This will help elevate its quality.
- Transcripts (original) – The academic transcripts need to be submitted from all the educational institutions that you have attended in the past. These must be written in English.
- Resume – You need to submit an updated resume; it should be an overall summary of your experiences and achievements. Make it crisp and concise, do not write in paragraphs.
- Application fee – The application fee is $25, which is non-refundable
John Hopkins MSEM Deadlines
The deadline to apply for John Hopkins MSEM is in March the next year, i.e. March 2023. Seems quite far, doesn’t it? It seems like you have plenty of time to prepare for your application, but guess what? March 2023 will be here before you know it. Moreover, if we look at it objectively, we only have 9-10 months left, so start preparing at this very moment. It will help you prepare your application in time as it is never a good idea to submit the application at the last minute.
Fall 2023 applications are now open until March 15, 2023
John Hopkins MSEM Employment
Many notable firms, like Booz Allen Hamilton, Goldman Sachs, and Bank of America, have sought and hired MSEM students. Alumni can be found working as project managers, research and data analysts, field engineers, senior consultants, and much more all around the world. These graduates earn around $80,000 per annum. Not only this, according to the reports, the highest salary earned by these alumni is $143,000.
AVERAGE STARTING SALARY
Top Sectors hiring Jpoohn Hopkins Graduates
John Hopkins MSEM will help you create a network for life. After graduating with this degree, the students have established their own firms, created new technologies, etc. Many have also been working with top consulting firms. The top sectors in which John Hopkins MSEM Graduates are serving their expertise are consulting, technology, and banking & financial services
Companies recruiting from John Hopkins MSEM
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Deloitte Consulting
- Tuscany Strategy Consulting
- Applications Online LLC
Banking & Financial Services
- Bank Of America
- Capital One
- Citi Bank
- Goldman Sachs
- T.Rowe Price
John Hopkins MSEM Alumni Info
As of 2017, there have been 37 Nobel Laureates who either attended the university as undergraduate or graduate students or were faculty members. Woodrow Wilson, who received his PhD from Johns Hopkins in 1886, was Hopkins’ first affiliated laureate, winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1919
Some Famous Alumni
- John Astin – actor
- Russell Baker, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for The New York Times and former host of PBS’ Masterpiece Theatre
- Manuel Barrueco, Grammy Award – winning guitarist
We have a 97% Success Rate In Helping Applicants Get Into Top Schools Like
Application Essay for John Hopkins MSEM
Here is the essay question you need to answer-
Discuss your academic and career objectives. Be specific about the field in which you plan to study and your research interests. Describe your preparation for your proposed program of study beyond what is apparent from your transcripts. This can include research projects you have undertaken or participated in, language preparation, or other academic training.
Letter of Recommendation for John Hopkins MSEM
Letters of recommendation– You need to submit 3 letters of recommendation to apply for John Hopkins MSEM.
Interview Questions for John Hopkins MSEM
After months of hardwork, when your application finally gets shortlisted, you will have to face an interview before receiving the acceptance letter. The university does not specify the questions you will meet to gain admittance to John Hopkins MSEM. However, on the basis of the questions that most candidates were posed, we have come up with some general questions. Preparing for these questions will help you crack the interview with a positive impact.
- Why do you want to choose MSEM?
- Why a master’s degree now? Why not do an MBA?
- What are your short and long term career goals?
- Why this particular company? What do you know about this role?
- What’s your plan B in case your career plans don’t work out?
- Why not study in your home country?
- What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
- What is your proudest achievement?
What makes John Hopkins MSEM Unique
- It is a member of the Master of Engineering Management Programs Consortium (MEMPC), which is a small coalition of highly selective and innovative professional graduate engineering management programmes.
- Applicants who earned their undergraduate degrees at Johns Hopkins will be awarded a WSE Dean’s Fellowship, which will cover 50% of their tuition.
- All MSEM students are eligible for coverage via the University’s Student Health insurance.
- MSEM students can also work as Teaching Assistants throughout their second and third semesters. These jobs pay $16.50 an hour.
THE ULTIMATE MASTERCLASS
"STUDY ABROAD 101"
7 Step Game Plan to Build your Profile for 2023 Intake
Limited Slots Left
What is an MSEM degree?
It is a program designed for engineers looking to work in managerial and executive positions. This graduate degree program is multidisciplinary and was established in 1982.
What major is Johns Hopkins known for?
Here are the most popular masters/ majors at Johns Hopkins
- Computer and Information Sciences and General
- Public Health
- Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering
- Cell/Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Engineering
Is Johns Hopkins engineering prestigious?
Johns Hopkins Engineering is number one in the U.S., and it is the oldest university of engineering. So, it can be said that Johns Hopkins Engineering is prestigious.
Is John Hopkins part of Harvard?
No, Johns Hopkins is not a part of Harvard.
Is John Hopkins an Ivy?
Johns Hopkins is located in the US and is one of the world’s top universities, but it is not labelled as Ivy League.
Is Johns Hopkins hard to get into?
Johns Hopkins is a highly competitive school, and it receives thousands of applications every year due to its good reputation and quality of education. The acceptance rate of Johns Hopkins is 11.1%, so we can say that it is pretty challenging to get into it.
What GPA do you need to get into Johns Hopkins?
For Johns Hopkins MSEM, you are required to have a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Check out what our Past clients say about our Services