Masters in Engineering
Management in USA
Master’s in Engineering Management is a professional programme which is also known as MEM. It is not a master’s science programme which digs deeper into the engineering discipline. The MEM programme gears towards engineers who want to be managers in the middle layer of the company which is an operational layer, Where they need to manage technical projects or technical people. The programme itself teaches things like innovation, project management, risk management, logistics, communication aspects and all the things that an engineer might need at a managerial level. Usually, this programme is taken by the people who are already managing the technical environment and just want to perfect their abilities. It is one of the fastest-growing Master’s programme in the united states. This programme is designed to improve your technical and managing skills. MEM programme is the intersection of science and technology and the Market. It allows the engineers to take more business courses and to develop the knowledge and skills in accounting and as well as managing projects.
The curriculum is the combination of core principles of business management with comprehensive analytical tools. The duration of the programme is 12-24 months. For part-time it varies from 9 months to 1 year.
- Any engineer or science graduate with good CGPA is eligible for MEM program.
- GMAT or GRE scores are mandatory. On some occasions, these scores are waived by universities for candidates with exceptional work experience.
- Statement of purpose.
- This program is specially designed for those who have limited work experience or no work experience at all.
- TOEFL and IELTS scores are mandatory for international students.
- At least two recommendation letters stating your work experience and leadership skills.
Top Universities For MEM in USA
|S.No||University Name||Fee Structure||Duration|
|1||Cornell University||$53,036 for two semesters.||1 year for full time and 2 years for part-time and distance learning.|
|2||Dartmouth College||$28,535 per term.||15 months.|
|3||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||$29,500 per semester.||16 months|
|4||Duke University||$28,332 per semester.||12 months|
|5||Johns Hopkins University||$55,350 per year||2 years|
|6||Northwestern University||$62,124 ( it may vary depending upon the duration of course)||9-15 months for full time and 2-3 years for part-time|
|7||Prude University||$41,100 per year||1 year|
|8||The University of Texas at Austin||$37,480 (it may vary depending upon the duration of course)||It is a 30 credit hour program which contains 10 courses and two projects, which are project A and project B.|
|9||University of Southern California||$23,436 (it may vary depending upon the duration of course)||18 months to 24 months for full time and 2 to 3 years for part-time.|
|10||Northeastern University, Boston||$51,522 (it may vary depending upon the duration of course)||It is a 32 semester hours programme which has 16 semesters hours of engineering management and 16 semester hours of business skill curriculum.|
One must have taken at least 12 courses to earn a MEM degree. There are some core courses and there are some electives.
There is a total number of 23 core courses from which you have to select at least 9. some of them are :
- Engineering Management
- Accounting for Engineers
- Financial Issues for Engineers
- Marketing Issues for Engineers
- Decision Tools for Managers
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- Project Management
- Systems Engineering and Architecture
You have to select at least 3 elective courses and some of them are :
- Business Process Change Management
- Technical Entrepreneurship
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management sciences
- Negotiation for Engineers
- Master of Science in Analytics
Career Opportunities After MEM
There is no shortage of jobs for MEM graduates in the USA. Engineering managers are very crucial for any organization because they take the responsibility of engineering and managing together. This programme will let you choose where to work in a wide variety of industries which includes technological functions.
A variety of job opportunities in different fields are :
- Architectural Management
- Management of Engineering Companies and Enterprises
- Scientific Research and Development Services
- Electronic Component Manufacturing and Management
- Professional and Commercial Industries
- Equipment and Supplies Merchant
- Data Base Engineering
- Healthcare/ Pharma
Some of the other fields are Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Statistics, Risk analysis, Quality assurance, Staff systems, Consumer goods, Business analyst and Management Associate.
Career choices are numerous and some of the job roles you will fulfil after your MEM programme are :
- Chemical Process Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Client Services Analyst
- Construction Project Manager
- Design Engineer
- Director of Hardware Engineering
- Economics Consultant
- Firmware Engineer
- Application Engineer
- Associate Marketing Manager
And your job duties will be Coordinating and directing projects, Directing reviewing and approving of product design, Recruiting employees, Developing and implementing policies, preparing budgets and Analyzing technology and market demand.
The Average salary of a MEM graduate in the USA is $90,000 per Annum. Salary might vary depending upon the city where you work or the company which recruited you and it also depends on your work experience.
Cost of Living
Living cost mainly depends on which part you would like to live in the U.S, such as living in suburban areas might not cost you a lot but living near big cities is expensive. The main factors that affect you financially are accommodation, food, transportation and a few other entertainment costs.
Few accommodation options are :
- On-campus living
- Rentals or sharing accommodation
Estimated living costs in different cities are :
Boston and Miami : 1,500 to 3,000 USD per month
Dallas and Houston : 1,000 to 2,000 USD per month
Washington D.C : 1,700 to 3000 USD per month
Atlanta : 1,200 to 2,200 USD per month
Philadelphia : 800 to 1,300 USD per month
Chicago : 1,300 to 2,500 USD per month
Seattle : 1,500 to 2,500 USD per month
Some of the other utilities and their common values are :
Electricity: 50 to 150 USD per month (according to your usage)
Internet: 45 to 50 USD per month
Phone Services: 40 to 50 USD per month
Additional costs like books and health insurance may vary from 1,500 to 2,500 USD per year.
If you choose to travel in public transportation, you can buy a monthly pass and students has special discounts as well. It will cost you around 45 to 100 USD per month or per semester.
Another major aspect is the food. If you are someone who wants to stay in budget, then you can buy groceries from cheapest supermarkets like target, trader joe’s and Walmart and you can cook for yourself. Some times meals are included in accommodation at your university. Or you can just select for on-campus meals which will cost you around 250 USD per month.
Want to know which college is the best fit for you to do a MEM?
Take Our Free Profile Evaluation Now!
Work Visa After Completion of MEM Programme
International students have the advantage of getting a1-year work permit visa (F1)post completion of your course. It is known as Optional Practice Training (OPT).
There are two types of optional practice training work permit visas :
- One is used during studying that is pre-completion OPT
- Another one is used after completing the course that is post-completion OPT.
The basic rule of OPT work permit visa is, You need to get the job within 90 days of your course completion and the job must be related to your field.
The F1 visa allows you to stay for 1 year after your graduation.
The new rule extended the duration that is 24-months for Students who are studying STEM courses can continue to stay for 3 more years after completion of their course.
J1 and M1 student visas grant you a grace period of 30 days to stay in the US.
Requirements for F1 visa :
- One must have taken admission into an academic programme at a university/school approved by US citizenship and immigration services (USCIS).
- He/She must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- One need to have sufficient funds to support their stay during the period of their education.
- Candidate must be fluent in English or be enrolled in a programme that leads to their English proficiency.
How to apply for F1 visa :
- The first step is to get admitted into an SVEP approved institution, which will then send I-20 form with SVEP ID and some other important information.
- The Candidate needs to pay I-901 SEVIS fee online and should take a printout for the same.
- Apply for an international student visa through the US embassy.
- Next, fill the DS I-160 form( non-immigrant visa application form) online and upload the required documents and submit them.
- Now, schedule the visa interview through the US embassy and pay the visa application fee $160. And as a final step, you need to show up for the visa interview at a given date.
Masters in Engineering Management programme is a great choice for engineering students who want to mix their technical skills with business skills.
Once you have graduated you will have advanced knowledge in business and engineering management. MEM is widely offered in United States with several top colleges/universities and vast career opportunities. So many universities offer a flexible academic environment with different methods of education.
The united states have so many cultures and it is rich in its history and It is the leading country in research and technology. That would just mean more and more opportunities for students who want to complete their higher studies and further want to work in the United States.
Still, have questions?
Here is a YouTube video on Master in Engineering Management (MEM) in the USA
ENJOY OUR MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
- Get The Most Comprehensive Profile Evaluation
- Personalized School Suggestions (Dream, Competitive, Safe)
- Access To Sample Essays And Interview Questions