Masters in Business Analytics in USA
A master’s degree is the next big step that a student will have to take if they plan on having a long and fulfilling career. A higher form of an educational degree has the effect of instilling a sense of confidence in the employer as to the professional knowledge that one holds. Finishing a course of 12-18 months can put a student on a path to career success.
Once decided to go for a master’s, it is very important to choose the right course which will give a professional’s maximum job opportunity and exposure. Courses like master’s in business administration and management used to be the go-to master’s degree back in the day, however, many other courses have developed since then that could be beneficial to a student.
Masters in Business Analytics is a very prestigious program which is seen as much traffic from students in recent years. In the following article we would have a look into the course and how can one go about pursuing it in the United States.
Want to Know How We Can Help to take Your Masters in Business Analytics Application to Next Level?
Check Our MiM All In One Service!
Watch this YouTube video on
MS in Business Analytics in USA | Job Opportunities | Top Universities
What is Business Analytics?
Businesses and organizations all over the world, since the beginning of time, collect data and store them for the purposes of keeping records and tracking their progress. However, this data can be used for much more than that. If looked closely, patterns emerge in this data which can be used to study the market trends and customer’s response to the product.
Once professionals realized the potential that raw data holds, they began to come up with theories and began to develop a field of study the sole purpose of which is to study data and understand the information that can be gained from it. This field of study has come to be known as Data Science. When data science is specifically applied to studying business data, it births a sub-section of data science called Business Analytics.
Business Analytics is a well-balanced combination of mathematics, business studies and technology. Business analytics deals with topics like statistics and probability along with business acumen related subjects like finance. These subjects were helpful in creating the foundation of this program. However, as the years went by and the digital world advanced, there was a need to use computing devices to decrypt the horde of data. This is when computing skills and machine learning became a part of the program. Business analytics uses computer languages like Python, R, and SQL.
Business Analytics has today become a huge industry as there will always be a need for business analysis. It is a field of study which transcends all sectors and has been an important addition to a company workforce. Master in Business Analytics holders will always be able to find work in today’s market. they could work as analysts in companies or be business owners and function as individual consultants, working with multiple companies.
Master’s degrees, irrespective of their field of study, rely strongly on the schools and universities which award them.
When it comes to choose the right country for you program then Masters in Business Analytics in USA is one of the top choice among the Students. The United States of America is supposed to have some of the top schools in the world. It goes without saying, most of these schools offer well developed and very prestigious Masters in Business Analytics programs.
Student Visa and Cost of Living USA
Having decided the course and school, the student must now gain permission to travel to the country in order to gain an education. This can be achieved by applying for a student permit or student visa. The procedure to gain a student visa for the USA is very simple and starts with understanding what type of visa is applicable to the student.
The countries government offers three types of visa characterized based on the program type. Following is a list of them:
- F1 Student Visa – This type of visa is applicable to students looking to pursue a course in the United States which requires them to study 18 hours or more in a week. This is the most standard type of visa which students apply for and is applicable to undergraduate and graduate programs.
- J1 Exchange Visitor Visa – This type of visa is applicable to lecturers and scholars visiting the country as a part of an exchange program. Their reason to visit may involve a research fellowship or a 10-month long vocational program.
- M1 Vocational/Non-Academic Student Visa – the M1 visa and F1 visa share the same application process. The M1 visa is applicable to students planning to travel into the states to attend a vocational or technical skill. The difference between M1 and F1 is that M1 visas are stamped and its holders cannot overstay the time period allocated to them.
Having applied to a school of the students liking and gaining an offer letter from them along with an I-20 form, the students can now begin the process to apply for the visa that best applies to them. The online SEVIS fees need to be paid after which the DS-160 form will be provided to you. When visiting the visa office for your interview and submitting the documents, you must carry the following (original and copy):
- Valid Passport – the passport should be currently valid and the validity should extend up to after your course has finished.
- Copy of the previous passport, if applicable
- Printed copy DS-160 form and I-20 form
- Receipt of visa fee for confirmation of payment
- Evidence of financial resources – could be submitted in the form of tax returns, bank statements, salary slips, scholarship letter, etc.
- Original mark sheets as proof of educational qualification so far
Score sheets of exams like GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
Having applied for the visa, it can be issued 120 days before the starting date of the course, however, one cannot enter the states before 30 days of the starting date.
Along with letting a student pursue an education in the states, the visa also gives limited working privileges to the student. A student can get an on-campus or off-campus part-time job. Their work hours will be limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session. During holidays and breaks, students can have up to 40 hours per week of working hours.
For an international student the biggest concern, other than the course they are pursuing, is the cost of living in the new country. A lot of care must be taken and information has to be collected to make an informed financial decision. The cost of living in the United States can be calculated to be between $10,000 and $12,000 per year. The following is a breakdown of the cost of living per month:-
- Accommodation – $200
- Electricity – $20
- Groceries – $150
- International SIM Card – $15
- Internet – $15
- Cell Phone – $50
- Meals (in restaurant) – $75
- Entertainment – $100
- Miscellaneous Shopping -$100
Working in the USA after Masters in Business Analytics
The United States has been home to many who have wanted it to restart their lives and find rewarding careers. Even today, many international students who travel to the United States decide to stay back in order to pursue a career.
As seen above students can begin working in the United States using their F1 visa student permit. Though it is limited work, it is a good start. The following are other working options available to international students after their graduation:-
- OPT – Optional Practical Training is an immigrant option available to recent graduates who hold an F1 visa.
- The holder is allowed an extension of one year, but if they have studied any STEM (science, technology, engineering, and maths) courses they are eligible for a 2-year extension. Like a compulsion, the OPT holder must work in a job-related in their field of study.
- H-1B Speciality visa – Non-immigrant visa which gives temporary employment authorization to students who have knowledge of any specialized field of study.
- E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor visa – both these visas are applicable to students whose native country is an active investor in one of the US-based companies. In case of an E-1 visa, the country may have a treaty of commerce with US Immigrants, whereas for E-2 the country may have a good treaty of commerce with US Applicants department.
- L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa – it’s a non-immigrant visa applicable to graduates who were employed outside of the US and are transferred back to the US.
- Green Card – this is the way to permanent residency and citizenship in the states. This is awarded to the citizen with direct relatives who are current citizens of the nation. Another most common way of eligibility is to marry someone of local nationality.
Top Universities for Masters in Business Analytics in USA
Masters in Business Analytics in USA has become a huge industry today and according to recent estimates, it had a revenue of $29.53 Billion in 2019. The field, though important in its nature of the application, gains much of its credibility from the schools which reward it. Following are some of the best schools in the United States which offer this Masters in Business Analytics:-
- Sloan Business School – Masters of Business Analytics
- University of Texas, Austin – Masters of Science in Business Analytics
- Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California – Masters in Business Analytics
- The University of Rochester, Simon – Masters of Science in Business Analytics
- Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota – Master’s in Business Analytics
- Southern Methodist University (Cox) – Masters of Science in Business Analytics
- Michigan State University (Eli Broad) – Master’s in Business Analytics
- Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University – Master’s in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
You Might Also Like
You may have come to a fair understanding of the importance of business analytics and a business analyst in the current scenario, but you might be wondering about job titles once..
The entry of Big Data into the business world has brought a big wave of opportunities for data scientists all over the world. Their roles and responsibilities in the business firms’ operations have consistently …
As the name of the course suggests, the core function of the course is the analysis of the business. One must look at their job profile as a detective. You must be able to look at the heaps of data, find out the key factors..