ONE YEAR MASTERS PROGRAMS IN CANADA
Canada is a country situated in the Northern part of North America. It has its capital as Ottawa. It is the World’s most educated country with a 99% literacy rate. It is the second largest country in the world after Russia. Also, it has its economy ranked 10th in the world. Canada is one of the most preferred countries among the students today. In fact, it is said to be one of the most popular countries for easy immigration laws. Further, it has the largest growth population of industrialised countries.
However, apart from its beautiful places such as Hudson Bay and Jasper National Park, Canada has some major benefits which make a student choose Canada over other countries.
So, before making a decision to study masters in Canada you need to know the answers of some of the important questions which arise in the minds of applicants—
Want to know which college is the best fit for you for masters in Canada?
Take Our Free Profile Evaluation Now!
Why pursue a Masters in Canada?
Before choosing Canada as an ideal country for your study, you need to know what benefits it will bring for you. You should know as to why pursuing a Masters in Canada is good for you. So, let’s have a look at the benefits—
- Multi-cultural Society: Canada is one of the countries enriched in multicultural societies. It has distinct cultures from around the world and a student will get the opportunity to immerse himself in the varied cultures. This makes Canada one of the fascinating countries.
- High-quality of Life: Canada is also ranked as one of the top countries in the world for its quality of life. A student willing to study in Canada will have the benefit of living a high standard life while pursuing his/her Masters. Canada also provides students the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of all the four seasons: summer, fall, winter and spring.
- Easy Visa Policies: Canada is advantageous in terms of cost and processing time of a visa. So, an international student can get their visa in a lesser time.
- Several Job Opportunities: A student pursuing Masters in Canada has several employment opportunities.The government of Canada provides ample opportunities for students. Also, the Government of Canada provides various laws such as minimum wage level, health and safety standards which protect a worker working in any industry. This helps a student if they choose to work in Canada post-education.
- Availability of Scholarships: A student pursuing a Masters degree in Canada is provided with a number of scholarships which can help him/her to fund their education.
- Leading Universities: Canada is home to some of the top universities in the world which offer 1 year masters programs. The universities consistently top the charts and are regarded highly amongst the employers. They are known worldwide for their research in innovation and technology.
What are the general eligibility criteria for a one-year Masters in Canada?
Masters degree helps in gaining an area of expertise and if the degree is for the duration of one year, it helps you in gaining more knowledge in less time. So, before deciding on to pursue a one-year Masters Degree, you should know the general eligibility criteria which need to be fulfilled. The academic requirements for the eligibility for a Masters degree are—
What is the Tuition cost and living expenses in Canada?
The tuition cost in Canada depends on the university you apply to. But before applying to any university, you should know about the general tuition cost for a Masters degree and also about the living expenses associated with it.
Every individual should always have an idea before going for another country. The tuition costs differ country to country and so do the living expenses. The tuition cost of a Masters degree is approximately CAD$ 18,000 per year whereas for a MBA program it’s slightly higher approximately CAD$ 27,397 annually.
The living expenses are important to know for an individual in order to live fruitfully in a country. The minimum amount needed for an individual to stay in Canada is around CAD$ 10,000 annually which includes accommodation, food, phone and miscellaneous expenses. If a family member is visiting with you then his/her cost will be $4000. This includes overall cost of the individual
How to get a student Visa?
It is necessary to get a student visa before travelling to another country. If you are deciding to be a part of Canada’s student community, then you need a student visa. Without a student Visa, no student is allowed in another country for study. Therefore, you should know the important details and requirements in order to get the study permit.
First, in order to know the process you need to know the documents which are required—
- Proof of acceptance to the university where you have applied.
- Proof of your identity.
- Proof of financial support; that you have the minimum amount of money to live in Canada.
These are the necessary documents to get a visa permit, but you may also need –
- A letter of explanation as to why you want to go to Canada
- A certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) issued by the Government of Canada, if you want to study in Quebec.
Now, as you are aware of the documents which are required. Let’s know about the process of getting a student visa—
In order to get the visa, you need to fill the application form and submit it with the required documents and the next step is to wait for the result. The study permit for Canada costs $150.
The process of getting a visa does not take much time. The application process can be done while sitting at home at an online portal. The Government of Canada has given easy access to the application process so you don’t have run here and there in order to get your visa. You just need to follow the online procedure.
How to get a post-study work permit?
A post-study permit is a permit to be able to work after completing your education. For this process also, there are some documents required which are to be submitted with the application of post-study work permit.
- Students must have completed 8 months of education from a Designated Learning Institution.
- A proof of having been qualified.
- Students should have maintained a full-time status.
- Graduated from one of the Canadian schools.
The duration of post-study permit depends on the duration of your program in which you were enrolled. The program should always be of 8 months or more otherwise the post-study permit will not be granted. If the program is for 12 months then the post-study work permit will also be of the duration of 12 months.
What are the Employment opportunities in Canada?
Canada provides ample opportunities for the student who wants to work there post-education. The Government of Canada provides a job portal online for the students to investigate jobs according to their desire. As Canada’s economy is one of the strongest economies in the world, it excels in providing employment opportunities. Canada has global impact in the information and communication sector as well as medical devices and biopharmaceuticals. Canada is the 2nd largest producer of hydroelectric power in the world providing more employment to the students in Canada.
Other than employment opportunities, a student is also protected under the laws of the Government of Canada which are—
- Minimum wage Levels: The minimum wage level that a worker is liable to get is 11.06 CAD per hour. If a worker is being paid less than this, then he is allowed to complain and raise his voice.
- Health and safety standards: The law of Health and safety standards outlines the general rights and responsibilities of the employer, the supervisor and the worker through an Act.
- Hours of work: An employee is liable to work for 8 hours in a day. This is the standard hours of work for every employee i.e., 40 hours in a week.
- Annual paid vacation: After a year of completion of a job, every employee is entitled to get 2 weeks of vacation and after 5 years, the entitlement increases to 3 weeks.
So, if you are thinking of working in the country after completion of your study, you will have these benefits as well.
What are the scholarships provided?
Study Abroad in undoubtedly an expensive affair and students are on the constant lookout for tips on how to fund their study abroad education. Scholarships are a great source to fund your education. Therefore, if you are able to get a scholarship, it becomes easy for you to sustain yourself in another country. The scholarships provided by the Government of Canada are divided into three types of scholarships; the fully funded scholarships, short-term exchange programs, online study scholarships for Masters.
Fully Funded Scholarships
- Study in Canada scholarships
Short-term Exchange Program
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) – for mid-career professionals.
- Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program
- Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship
- Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program
Online Study Scholarships
- Canada-CARICOM Virtual University Scholarships Program
ENJOY OUR MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
- Get The Most Comprehensive Profile Evaluation
- Personalized School Suggestions (Dream, Competitive, Safe)
- A cohort of resources to 3X your Selection chances
The Top 10 Universities
There are many universities which provide one-year masters programs. It is important to know which universities are the top universities as your qualification from a prosperous university influences the decision of an employer.
Therefore, the top universities of Canada are—
1. University of Toronto
This university was founded in 1827 as King’s College. The university offers various programs with a number of courses. It is situated in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and it ranks at 23 in the global ranking chart. Its tuition fee for international students costs around CAD$21,560 to CAD$64,810. It provides scholarships named as Lester B. Pearson scholarships to outstanding students. The amount of these scholarships helps in covering the tuition cost, books, incidental fees and full residential support.
2. McGill University
McGill University was founded in 1821. It is situated Montreal, Quebec, Canada and ranks 35th in the Global Ranking Chart. The tuition fee for masters in this university costs around $18,110 – $48,747. The scholarships provided by the universities are various such as the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship. McGill provides various funding opportunities to students which can help them in funding education.
3. University of British Columbia
University of Columbia was established in the year 1908 with campuses in Vancouver and Kelowna, British Columbia. It ranks 51st in the Global Ranking Chart. Studying a Masters program in this university can cost approximately $944.5 per year. The university provides a number of scholarships such as SERB-UBC Scholarship, Zonta International’s Amelia Earhart Fellowship and many more.
4. University of Alberta
The university was founded in the year 1908 by Alexander Cameron Rutherford. The university is located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The university ranks 113 in the Global Ranking Chart. The tuition fee costs around $18,000. The university provides to you various scholarships such as Master’s Entrance Scholarship.
5. Universite de Montreal
The university was founded in 1878. It is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The university ranks at 137 in Global Ranking. The university’s tuition fee costs around $27,300 per year. The university provides ample opportunities for funding by giving students to participate in scholarships.
6. McMaster University
The university was founded in the year 1890. It is located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada .The university ranks at 140 in the global Ranking Charts. The tuition costs for a Masters Program costs around $5,698.74 per term. The scholarships provided are Alan Nolet Physiotherapy Academic Grant, Dr.Susan E French Nursing Bursary, McMaster General Bursary and many more. The amount of the scholarships can be upto $20,000 and more.
7. University of Waterloo
The university was established on 4th April in the year 1956. It is located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The university ranks 173 globally. The tuition fee for a Masters program costs around $8,020 for full time and $4,020 for part time. The university provides many scholarships such as University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship which provides $1,000 per term for up to three terms.
8. Western University
The university was established in the year 1878 in London, Ontario, Canada. The university ranks at 211 in the Qs global ranking chart. The tuition fee for the masters course is around $23,352. The university provides various internships for the practical knowledge.
9. University of Calgary
The University of Calgary was started in 1944 as the Calgary branch of the University of Alberta. The university was founded in 1908. The tuition fee for the masters program is around $8,081. The scholarships which the university provides are Vanier Scholarships, Graduate Award Competition which amounts upto $50,000.
10. Queen’s University
Queen’s University was established in 1842 with 13 students and one professor in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. The university’s tuition fees of Masters programs is around $12,927.45. This university also provides ample number of scholarships such as Queen Tri-Agency Recipient Recognition Awards,The Arthur B. McDonald Prize for Academic Excellence (AEA) and many external scholarships.
These are the top ten universities which provide you with the best masters programs which are of the duration of one year. Canada is said to be the provider of world-class education. They have the best educational system and the cost of education is also affordable.
Not only this, the universities of Canada conduct research at the world’s highest rates in the fields of clinical medicine; biology; information and communication technologies; agriculture; fisheries and forestry; earth and environmental sciences; and economics and business.
Canada is among the top countries to provide a good education system. With its beautiful scenic beauty, it also provides the individuals with the best of the universities with affordable tuition fees. Not only this, it also provides ample opportunities for the students who want to work after completing their education. As being ranked 10th for having a strong economy, it offers students with a lot more opportunities for employment.
The students who decide to go for studies in this country are likely to achieve a wholesome experience. The Government of Canada highly supports the student community and therefore lays out the best scholarships for students.
Canada can be a perfect choice for you if you are looking for an affordable country. Even the process of getting a visa and post-study work permit is not hectic and goes smoothly. The online application process helps you tremendously as you don’t have to go in circles for the work to be done. Canada provides a lot of benefits and therefore it’s good to go for a one year Masters Program.
Follow us to get the latest b-school updates!
You Might Also Like