Simon Fraser University
Masters in Finance
Applying for SFU?
Know how we can increase your Chances by 300%
Introduction – Simon Fraser University
Simon Fraser University is a multi-campus university rooted in Canada, with its campuses in Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver. Established in 1965, SFU, a public research university, is the first Canadian University with U.S. Recognition. Renowned as Canada’s most Engaged University, SFU has more than 1,70,000 Alumni in 143 countries. As per Maclean’s magazine, Simon Fraser has been the top-most university of Canada, five years in a row and is ranked 298th in QS World University Rankings.
Simon Fraser University has Canada’s first Fairtrade Gold Campus and comes at 7th position among World’s Top Universities for entrepreneurial spirit. SFU provides endless opportunities with eight faculties, including Beedie School of Business, Faculty of Applied Sciences, etc.
Year-round housing facilities are also available for students at Burnaby and Vancouver campuses. Not just academics, SFU has rich-cultural clubs and associations to make like-minded people bond and grow. This apex college has everything from Debate Society, Dodo club to Bhangra SFU and Anime Club. You’ll be in awe with its 430 acres large and beautiful campus well-equipped with modern technologies, and gyms and swimming pools are the least to mention.
SFU MFin Overview
Simon Fraser University designed the MSc Finance program to meet global demand for skilled risk management and investment management professionals. The program is ideal for early- to mid-career professionals with a facility for quantitative finance.
The curriculum is based on a foundation of financial theory and real-world experience. Choose between two streams: Investment Management and Risk Management.
Strong finance skills are essential for any organization. Be prepared to succeed in a career in investment management, risk management and any area that calls for a thorough understanding of financial theory and well-developed quantitative and analytical skills. With MSc Finance from SFU, you won’t just keep up, you’ll get ahead. Potential employers include banks and financial institutions, investment and public accounting firms, FinTech and other start-ups, securities regulators, governments, management consulting firms, and insurance companies.
SFU MFin Highlights
SFU alumni network
Program and Curriculum
MSc Finance lets you develop your analytical and technical skills in all aspects of finance. This full-time, 16-month SFU Beedie MSc Finance program is based in downtown Vancouver. It teaches you the fundamentals of finance, asset pricing, market risk management, and credit risk management.
Investment management and risk management streams allow you to acquire additional expertise in the areas of equity security analysis and strategic asset allocation.
Blend finance theory with practice
- Develop financial skills employers need
- Investment and risk management streams
- Manage a real-life investment fund
- Learn industry financial platforms
- MATHEMATICS FOR COMPUTATIONAL FINANCE
- STATISTICS FOR FINANCIAL ECONOMICS
- FINANCIAL MODELING TOOLS
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT ANALYSIS
- CORPORATE FINANCE
- MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATION
- PRINCIPLES OF INVESTMENTS
- OPTIONAL: SIAS
- Advanced Equity Analysis
- Advanced Fixed Income Analysis
- Financial Econometrics
- Business Strategy, Ethics and Regulatory
- Optional: SIAS
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- IM: Portfolio Theory and Asset Pricing
- IM: Strategic Asset Relocation
- IM: Investment Banking and Private Equity
- RM: Market Risk Management
- RM: Credit Risk Management
- RM: Advanced Derivatives
In addition to the core courses, you’ll have to choose 3 electives.
These electives would be based on relevant topics such as FinTech, Data visualization of responsible Investing, which in turn will further help you to broaden your perspective of the Financial world.
Do you have a Profile that is good enough for Top Schools?
Take our Free Profile Evaluation & Find Out
As an MSc Finance student, you’ll enjoy access to the SFU Beedie Career Management Centre (CMC) team. SFU is a dedicated advisor who can provide you with invaluable networking opportunities, a vast depth of online resources, personalized career advice, and mentorship. For the rest of your career, you’ll have access to the CMC’s key tools.
With a dedicated career advisor, countless networking opportunities and invaluable resources, you’ll get all the support you need to level up.
Top 5 Sectors
- Financial Engineer
- Quantitative Analyst
- Risk management Analyst
- Technology Risk Consultant
- Commercial Banking
|Banks & Financial Institutions||45%|
|Fin-tech & other start-ups||16%|
Return on Investment (ROI)
|Cost of Living||+ $12,000|
|Average Impact of Part-Time Jobs||– $11,000|
|Amount Recovery (setting aside 25% of earnings)||2.9 years|
Which Schools are Dream, Competitive & Safe for you?
Find via our Profile Evaluation
SFU Alumni Info
The Simon Fraser University was founded in 1965, and since then a whopping number of 1,72,213 students have graduated from the university. More than 600 alumni of SFU have been placed at the dream companies of lakhs of students like Amazon, Microsoft etc.
Some famous Alumni of Simon Fraser University are :
1. Paul Watson
2. Gordon Campbell
3. Mobina Jaffer
4. Ujjal Dosanjh
SFU wants to hear from numerate, critical thinkers with an undergraduate degree in mathematics, sciences, engineering, economics or business seeking to develop technical and analytical skills.
Following are the eligibility requirements for students who want to pursue Masters in Finance at Simon Fraser University:
- UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE– You must have a 4-year undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of a minimum of 3.0/ 4.33 (B) or 3.33/4.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of UG Courses from a Recognized University. Alongside all the graduate, extra-curricular and research projects etc., are also considered.
- GMAT/GRE– A minimum score of 550 GMAT and a minimum of 155 in each section of the GRE are required. But based on the competitive nature, the recommended score for the GMAT is 600+ and 310+ in the GRE.
- LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY– As the Masters of Finance course at Simon Fraser University is taught in English, fluency in English is the bare minimum expectation. To check your English proficiency skills, six tests are acceptable for admission – IELTS, TOEFL( Paper-based or Internet-based), PTE, CAEL, Cambridge English Qualification.
- VISA REQUIREMENTS– International Students who are not citizens of Canada and don’t hold landed immigrant status, willing to pursue Masters in Finance from Simon Fraser University, are mandatorily required to have a Canadian Student Visa.
We have a 97% Success Rate In Helping Applicants Get Into Top Schools Like
Book a Free Strategy Session to understand how we can help you get into the World’s Best Schools.
In order to use the online application system, you will need to pay an application fee of $90 CAN (students with Canadian transcripts) or $125 CAN (students with international transcripts) by credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
Additional costs for textbooks and related materials: approximately $2,500 (CAD).
- Undergraduate degree: min 3.0 CGPA in a quantitative discipline, which may include business, economics, mathematics, engineering or the sciences
- A one-page resume (CV).
- All official up-to-date academic transcripts and official GPA.
- GMAT or GRE or TAGE MAGE official test score report.
- English language proficiency test score report (TOEFL or TOEIC or IELTS or Cambridge).
- Copy of Passport or ID card.
- International applicants will require a valid Canadian student visa
- 3 completed online reference forms.
- Passport-style photo in .jpg or .jpeg format only.
The SFU MFin application comprises one required and one optional essay. SFU takes its essays very seriously and uses them as a medium to understand the strengths and weaknesses of prospective students. In addition, it helps them better understand the applicant’s profile. So, make sure your essays as an applicant are top-notch.
- Since 2015, Vancouver has been privileged to host the TED Conference (www.ted.com), which is founded on the premise “Ideas Worth Spreading”. If you were to design and deliver your own TED Talk, what story would you tell? Also, provide a title.
(please limit your answers to 500 words)
(please limit your answer to 250 words)
- Please provide any additional information that you would like to share with our Admissions Committee. This may include an explanation of your previous academic performance; performance on standardized exams such as GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, or IELTS; any gaps in employment; or any other information you deem relevant.
Let us read through what we have learnt till now about Masters of Finance from Simon Fraser University:
- The Simon Fraser University’s Masters of Finance program is offered by Beedie School of Business.
- Eighty per cent of the students are international students from more than 140 different countries.
- The MFin program is a 16-month full time course based in downtown Vancouver.
- MFin program opens the doors of International finance to the students, wherein they gain specialised in-depth knowledge of skilled risk management and investment management.
- Official start term for the Msc Finance at Simon Fraser University is September.
- More than 1,70,000 alumni from 143 countries make up the global alumni network.
SFU Msc Finance admission process is easy, but the requirements need to be kept in mind. A GMAT or GRE score is required in SFU, along with other requirements as mentioned in the blog. Through this complete Simon Fraser University review, you must have gained sufficient information about SFU MSc Finance
FAQ No- 1 What is the acceptance rate of Simon Fraser University?
Simon Fraser University is the top class university of Canada located at Burnaby and the acceptance rate to get into Simon Fraser University is near to 65%.
FAQ No- 2 What is the Simon Fraser University fees for International Students?
For International students, the cost of pursuing MSc Finance from the Simon Fraser University is $48,185.
FAQ No- 3 What is Simon Fraser University Ranking?
As per the Times Higher Education, Simon Fraser University is ranked 201-250th in World University rankings 2022.
Check out what our Past clients say about our Services
Other schools you can check
Imperial College Business School Ranks 2nd in the UK and 15th in the world. The MSc Management program is an intensive, full-time, one-year program that prepares graduates coming from diverse academic…
The LSE MiM Review is useful for people who want to gain a quick understanding of the Masters in Management program at LSE and understand if it would be the correct choice for them.
UCL is a world-class business school in central London. It has been ranked amongst the top-notch B-schools in Europe and its MSc Finance program is an internationally known master’s program, bringing together expert lectures and brilliant minds.