Unsure If Your Profile Will Get YOU Into Your Target Schools?
What is the SMU MiM Review?
The SMU MiM Review is useful for people who want to gain a quick understanding of the Masters in Management program at Singapore Management University and understand if it would be a correct choice for them. Apart from a brief review of the school, data about the Masters in Management application process, the class profile and placement statistics upon graduation are presented.
SMU MiM Program
Ranked as one of Asia's top universities, the Singapore Management University is an autonomous university in Singapore which provides an American-style education. It's MiM programme is modeled by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
The SMU Master of Science in Management (MM) is a 18 month programme specially designed for individuals who would like to pursue a post-graduate management degree with a Global-Asian curriculum.
The SMU Master of Science in Management (MM) has an intensive curriculum covering a comprehensive range of business and management topics, thus preparing students for a broad variety of careers in the business world. Delivered by SMU faculty and industry practitioners, this programme offers a broad but vigorous management education with a Global Asia perspective.
Its MSc in Applied Finance (post-experience) is ranked 4th amongst Asian Business Schools.
The SMU MWM started in 2004 as Asia’s first and only full-time master’s programme in wealth management, and the first specialised one in the world.
Masters in Management Programs offered by SMU:
SMU offered both pre-experience and post-experience degrees in management.
The pre-experience degrees include:
- MSc in Management (MM) - A 18 month program to kick start your career in the business world, aimed at graduates with 2 years & below of work experience. It is the flagship masters degree offered by SMU and is best suited for individuals wanting to pursue post-graduation with a global-asian curriculum.
- MSc in Applied Finance (MAF) - An excellent choice for graduates with a passion in the field of finance, it equips individuals with the principals of international and domestic financial markets.This program is available in Full time or Part time format. No prior experience is required for the full time format, whereas an experience of 2 or more years is preferred for the part time degree.
- MSc in Quantitative Finance(MQF)- This programme offers participants a unique learning journey in the realm of pricing & hedging, risk analytics & management, and quantitative trading & investment.
- MSc in Innovation(MI)- Its curriculum focuses on developing an individual's acumen to support Asia's need for new business creation and innovation.
The post experience degrees include:
- MSc in Wealth Management (MWM)
- MSc in Human Capital Leadership(MHCL)
- MSc in Communication Management (MCW)
The SMU Masters in Management Value Proposition
The SMU Masters in Management program is designed to cover the latest trends in business management. It allows you the opportunity to easily transition into the corporate world without extensive work experience. There is no doubt that one can benefit extensively from what the school has to offer, these include
- Career Enhancement Opportunities: The new Office of Post Graduate and Professional Programmes (PGPP) has sound career services like workshops and seminars for its post-graduate students. It aims to support the students with all the resources that will help you improve your professional appeal in-front of campus recruiters.
- Interactive Learning Environment: Partly due to the schools strong career services & also due to the excellent location of the school.
- Networking Opportunities: SMU has continued engagement with various organisations as a recruiter, sponsor, research, and education partner. In fact, it has build strong connections with over 700 businesses.
Skills which the SMU MiM values
SMU's Masters in Management is growing in popularity year-on-year, with many of its programs (like MAF)gaining international recognition. The school's selection has become extremely competitive. Based on their mission & vision statements , SMU is on the lookout for high potential candidates who exhibit the following skills:
- Collaborative Leadership
- Social Welfare Aptitude
Make sure to mention in your application essays how you exhibit these skills and back them up with relevant examples.
Want to know your chances at SMU ?
Get your Profile Evaluated now!
SMU MiM Eligibility Criteria
- A good undergraduate degree
- A good score in GMAT or SMU Admissions Test score
- TOEFL/ IELTS is required if the medium of instruction of your undergraduate studies was not in English. It must be taken within the last 2 years at the time of submitting your application.
- 2 reference letters.
- SMU's hallmark pedagogy boasts of interactive presentations and project-based assessments.
- The programme curriculum consists of 8 core modules and 8 electives.
- The scope, coaching and intensity of this programme make it a masterclass in business management.
Core Courses For SMU MiM
The 8 core courses give you an analytical understanding into the fundamentals of management as well as the Asian business environment :
- International Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance and Finance Management
- Asian Business Environment
- Managing People And Organisations
- Foundations of Strategic Management
- Organisations and Supply Chain Management
Out of the 13 modules offered, students can choose to complete any eight. They can choose from both Common Elective Modules and also Track-Specific Elective Modules. The Track-Specific Elective Modules are for students who would like to do a specialise in a particular subject like Finance, Entrepreneurship or Marketing.
|Common Electives||Finance Track Electives||Strategy & Entrepreneurship Track Electives||Marketing Track Electives|
|Business Study Mission||Financial Markets||Communication Management||Communication Management|
|Ethics, the corporation, the social value||Decision Analysis||M&A||Consumer Behaviour|
|Negotiating in Business||Managerial Accounting||Digital Business||Consumer Analytics|
|M&A||Innovation & Entrepreneurship||Digital Business|
|Digital Business||Ideation Management|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship|
Overseas Immersion Programme
One of the electives of the MSc in Management (MM) programme include the Business Study Mission trip where MM students will go to different ASEAN countries for an immersive experience in local culture and company visits.
Using a country-specific study as its base, the ‘Business Study Mission’ course examines the rapidly developing business environment and the available opportunities in a particular city or region. Particular emphasis is placed on the socio-political, cultural, legal environments, and the influence they exert on business practices.
Useful Information on the SMU MiM degree
Duration: 18 months.
Tuition Fees for 2019 intake:
The fees for the programme are-
Acceptance S$500* Amount payable upon acceptance to the programme
Tuition $44,081* (including GST)
A 10% rebate for SMU alumni applies to the tuition fee.
A number of different scholarships and loans are offered, check out the full list here.
SMU MIM DEADLINE
Application Deadline for 2019 intake:
|January 2019||Round 1: 30 June 2018
Round 2: 31 August 2018
Round 3: 15 November 2018
|July 2019||Round 1: 31 January 2019
Round 2: 31 March 2019
Round 3: 30 April 2019
Constituents of the SMU application package
- A copy of your NRIC for Singaporean Citizens; or a copy of your Passport for non-Singaporeans
- A copy of your NRIC, Passport and re-entry permit for Singaporean Permanent Residents
- Your official score reports for GMAT / GRE / CAT (Indian candidates only) or SMU Admission Test score (please click here to view the SMU Admission Test Factsheet)
- TOEFL or IELTS (if your degree was not taught in English)Your Current CV
- Your official and certified true copies of Bachelor certificate and transcript
- 2 short essays
- 2 Recommendation Forms/Referee Reports
- Proof of payment by credit card form or check/money order of SGD $100 (Online Application Fee)
- Any other supporting documents
SMU MiM Student Profile
- 24 nationalities on the programme
- Average Age : 22-24
- Average GMAT : 650
- Average IELTS : 6.7
- Average Work Experience: 0-2 years
SMU MiM Placement Statistics
SMU has not yet disclosed the placement statistics and list of recruiting companies for MiM.
However, the following companies visit SMU for placement purposes:
|Proctor and Gamble|
|Johnson & Johnson|
|Bain & Co|
|Ernst & Young|
Next in the SMU MiM Review, find all the application essay questions listed below.
APPLICATION ESSAY INSIGHTS
The SMU MiM application comprises of 2 short essay questions. SMU takes its essays very seriously and uses it as a medium to understand the strengths and weaknesses of prospective students. So make sure your essays are top notch.
SMU MiM ShortEssays
Question 1 (300 words)
Tell us what you will bring to the MSc. in Management (MM) programme (unique contributions based on your academic and non-academic strengths).
Question 2 (300 words)
Describe how taking up the MM Programme fits with your future goals and career plans.
You can check out SMU Sample Essays for deeper insights on how to write the specific MiM essays for Singapore Management University.
As you can see the Singapore ManagementUniversity's Masters in Management application is pretty intensive; the candidate has to express himself and justify why he is fit for the programme in just 600 words. This is a bigger challenge as you have to cover a lot of experiences in 2 questions as opposed to the multiple question approach followed by a lot of other business schools. So make sure you have really great essays and terrific LOR's as they WILL make or break your case.
Once you are done with your application , the SMU board reviews it and if shortlisted you would be called for a Interview round for the SMU MiM.
We hope the SMU MiM Review was useful to you, all the information has been sourced by the SMU MiM Site, and for more data you should visit there.
Find more information on the degree
Want to improve your chances of an admit at SMU?
Try out our comprehensive All in One Services and get a serious edge over your competition.