Vanderbilt University MSF Overview
The Vanderbilt Master of Science in Finance (MSF) review gives students a glimpse of the degree and school. The MSF is a ten-month, on-campus degree offering its students a fast track to a host of career paths. MS Finance educates students on the technical skills to be able to succeed in the fields of corporate finance, investment banking, sales and trading, asset management, real estate, consulting, investment research, and more. At Vanderbilt, the degree is structured with a small-by-design approach to learning and a versatile MBA finance curriculum that permits you to tailor studies as per your interests and career objectives.
Vanderbilt University MSF Highlights
Hours of course work
|QS World Rankings ’19||75|
Want to know your chances at Vanderbilt University?
Program and Curriculum
The Vanderbilt’s Owen Graduate School is popularly known for its inclusive and diverse social gatherings, events, and service projects. At the Vanderbilt University, you’ll avail the opportunity to draw learning of finance subjects from professors like Bob Whaley, Craig Lewis, and Bill Christie, each of whom has made a significant impact in the world of finance. In the Vanderbilt MS Finance program, you will lay a firm foundation in finance with an accelerated core curriculum. Also, the MS Finance curriculum is made to fit your interests, with 50% of the course work tailored to your career goals. The mod(module) system grants you the freedom to take a plethora of electives during the ten-month program.
• Corporate Financial Policy
• International Financial Markets and Instruments-
• Applied Investment Management
• Bond Markets
• Advanced Corporate Valuation
• Mergers and Acquisitions
• Private Equity and Leveraged Buyouts (short course)
• Derivatives Markets
• Portfolio Analysis and Trading
• Corporate Restructuring for Distressed Firms (short course)
• Financial Institutions
• Corporate Restructuring for Non-Distressed Firms
• Entrepreneurial Finance
• Managerial Economics
• Financial Reporting I and II
• Taxation of Business and Investment Transactions
• Advanced Cost Accounting
• Financial Analysis of Environmental, Social, and Governance Data
• Corporate Strategies for Environmental, Social, and Governance Issues
• Commercial Real Estate Transactions
• Real Estate Financial Analysis
• Real Estate Investment and Development
• Advanced Real Estate Valuation
• Federal Income Taxation of Mergers and Acquisitions
• Federal Taxation of Business Entities
• Financial Statement Analysis
• Accounting for Mergers and Acquisitions
• Introduction to Law and Business
• Financial Data Analysis
• Derivative Securities Valuation
• Property Law for Business Students
• Spreadsheet Macros (VBA) for IT Applications
The following courses are in high demand by MBA students as they satisfy curriculum requirements. The enrollment is limited on a space-available basis. Students shall consult the Office of Academic Programs for further information:
•Game Theory and Business
•Seminar in Monetary and Fiscal Policy
- Vanderbilt MS Finance Merit-Based Scholarships
- Diversity Scholarship—Eastman
- Diversity Scholarship—Women in Finance
- Diversity Scholarship
- Underrepresented Minorities in Finance
- Diversity Scholarship—Canadian Citizenship
- Diversity Scholarship—European Citizenship
- Diversity Scholarship—Indian Citizenship
- Diversity Scholarship—Chinese Citizenship
- Accelerator Alumni Scholarships
• Human & Organizational Performance Association (HOP Association)
• Owen Finance Club
• Owen Venture & Entrepreneurship Club
• Asian Business Association
• Owen Global Business Association
• Owen Out & Allied
• Owen Women’s Business Association
• Turner Family Center Social Venture Club
• Owen Social Activities Club
• Owen Sports
• Owen Speaking Club
The hallmark of the Vanderbilt MS Finance program is the one-on-one support provided by their student services team, including a dedicated career coach to assist students during their job search. Vanderbilt MS Finance is a credential that is recognized on Wall Street and around the world and is a key to a broad spectrum of career opportunities. Prominent fields in which MSF students build their careers include investment banking, private wealth management, investment research, real estate finance, corporate finance, and advisory services and consulting.
Top 3 Sectors
- Financial services and advisory
- Professional Services
|Financial Consulting & Advisory||18%|
|Investment & Research||8%|
|Business Analytics Consulting||8%|
|Real Estate Finance||8%|
|Sales & Trading||5%|
Companies recruiting from Vanderbilt University MSF
Financial services and advisory
- Deutsche Bank
- SunTrust Robinson Humphrey
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Return on Investment (ROI)
|Tuition Fees||$ 58,400|
|Cost of Living||+ $ 23,192|
|Average Impact of Part-Time Jobs||– $ 5600|
|Total Investment||$ 75,972|
|Average Salary||$ 78,343|
|Amount Recovery (setting aside 25% of earning)||3.8 years|
ENJOY OUR MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
- KNOW YOUR PROFILE’S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES
- PERSONALISED SCHOOL SUGGESTIONS (Dream, Competitive, Safe)
- ACCESS TO SAMPLE ESSAYS AND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Vanderbilt University Alumni Info
Some Famous Alumni
- Kelly Smith
Private Equity Associate, Global Endowment Management, Charlotte, NC
- Roger Kumar Business & Strategy Manager, Cota, New York City
Master of Science in Finance : Class Profile
Vanderbilt University ranks at number 15 among United States research universities as per the U.S. News & World Report. Throughout the ten-month MSF program, students benefit from extensive training and resources, all focused on helping students achieve their career goals. Apart from career support, students can reap benefits from career development workshops, peer coaching, alumni networking events, mock interviews, on-campus information sessions, online job postings, and a lot more. The university is home to 10 fraternities and 15 sororities. The school also offers a joint JD / MSF program which is an accelerated MS degree that allows students to widen their career opportunities in a competitive field by developing pragmatic finance and business management skills to complement a prestigious law degree.
To evaluate applications, the school follows a holistic and balanced approach to admissions: The ideal candidate must have earned at least a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a top-quality recognized college or university. The school seeks students who have taken a demanding course load in any field of study and have a consistent record of high performance.
Full-time post-baccalaureate work experience is not required; however, we strongly recommend internships in finance or a related field.
Master of Science in Finance Deadlines
|Rounds Deadline Dates|
|Early Round October 3, 2019|
|Round 1 November 7, 2019|
|Round 2 January 9, 2020|
|Round 3 February 27, 2020|
|Round 4 May 7, 2020|
Next Deadline Approaching in
Admission to the MSc Finance program is very competitive and the selection committee will pay close attention to all aspects of the application. Here is a list of documents required for the application procedure. There is a $100 application fee for the MS Finance program.
Transcripts and Test Scores
Two Letters of Recommendation
Students must not send their official transcripts unless they have been asked to do so. In some instances, the Admissions Committee may request the GMAT Analytical Writing Assessment essay.
Candidates are responsible for requesting that the AWA essay be reported to Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management.
Application Essays (Vanderbilt University)
The essay gives the school insights into your personality and other unique characteristics.
• In your essay, you must explain your short-term (immediate post-MS Finance) and long-term career goals. Combined with your background and interests, how will the Vanderbilt MS Finance degree help you reach these goals?
• The word limit for the essay is 500 words.
• The video essay enables you to demonstrate your communication skills and personality.
• The video essay is a requisite component of your online application. The school intends to seek an authentic and unscripted outlook of your personality, creativity, and communication style. The video essay is quite short (under 2 minutes) and it serves as another data point for the admissions committee to know about you.
Important notes to remember as you begin:
• You will get 3 attempts to do a video essay recording – for each attempt you will be prompted with a unique question
• You will get 30 seconds to prepare your answer for the question on the screen • You will have up to 90 seconds to respond through the video recording
Check out what our Past clients say about our Services