What is Operations Management
Operations management requires using resources from workers, materials, apparatus, and technology. Operations managers receive, produce, and deliver goods to customers based on their needs and the capabilities of the organization.
Operations management manages several strategic problems, including defining the size of manufacturing plants and project management methods and executing the structure of information technology networks. Other operational concerns include the management of inventory levels, comprising work-in-process levels and raw materials procurement, quality control, materials handling, and maintenance policies.
These courses include several methods and tools which can be applied to efficiently operate in a range of work environments from the military to non-profit corporations. Candidates are required to provide transcripts from every university, and college attended while applying for a course. Core curriculum within a master’s degree program for operations management includes:
- Human behaviour
- Quality management
- Cost analysis
- Ethics in leadership
- Project planning
- Decision-making principles
Want to know which college is the best fit for your Masters?
Take Our Free Profile Evaluation Now!
Operations Management Requirements
An Undergraduate Degree
All candidates are required to hold a bachelors degree from a recognized college or university.
Some schools might ask candidates to have already been employed in a position, relevant to the field. The experience must be documented in the form of a current CV. Also, a candidate might be obliged to write a job specification describing his or her responsibilities and offer particular information as to how this job is related to the operations management sector. In a few cases, academic institutions might waive specific course requirements in place of relevant work experience.
Proficiency on Placement and/or Aptitude Tests
Several institutions may expect candidates to take either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Admissions Management Test (GMAT). Each institution’s graduate admissions office will set a minimum score of which they require candidates to meet. International candidates are likely to be asked to prove their proficiency in the English language. This skill is measured by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). If TOEFL is not available to some students, several institutions accept the results of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination.
Importance of Operations Management
- Operation management includes identical management for every organization or company irrespective of their characteristics of the operation. Plotting, organizing, staffing, monitoring, controlling, directing and motivating are its vital elements. Operation management is essential for companies to run regular activities continuously. With its help, a company can make great use of its resources like labour, raw material, capital and other resources.
- Operation Management is necessary to increase overall productivity, and the ratio of input to output can be described as productivity. It provides a standard of the effectiveness of the manager as well as the workers. As the discipline concentrates on utilizing the available resources in the highest possible way to accomplish end goals, it enhances the overall productivity.
- It is the management of several business activities that happen within a company and contributes to obtaining the products to meet with client necessities. Operation management is the soul of an establishment as it manages the whole operation and If the products are composed, adhering to the requirements of the clients, then they’ll be sold at a faster
- Under operation management, there is maximum usage of resources which ultimately leads to the tremendous profits of the company. The efforts of the workers and several raw materials are adequately used and transformed into the services and goods expected by the company. Operation management plays a vital role in a company as it deals with problems like design, operations, and maintaining the system utilized for the production of goods.
Previously everyone thought that the operation management was not very essential for the organization, but later on, it was discovered that it is necessary for the running of an organization. It was seen that the manufacturing of raw materials to make the goods and trading them together with the management of sales is crucial, and this is performed adequately by managing the operations.
Top Universities for Operations Management
- Krannert School of Management, University in West Lafayette, Indiana
- P. Carey School of Business, Arizona, United States
- Rotterdam School of Management. Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Arden University, Coventry, United Kingdom
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Job Profile of an Operations Manager
- A crucial role of operations management pertains to the management of inventory using the supply chain. To be an efficient operations management expert, one should comprehend the methods that are necessary to what an organization does and get them to stream and operate together continuously. The co-ordination involved in efficiently establishing a business process needs a substantial knowledge of logistics.
- An operations management professional knows regional and universal trends, consumer demands and the available resources for production. Operations management addresses the procurement of materials and the use of labour in a convenient, cost-effective way to fulfil client expectations. Inventory levels are observed to assure excessive quantities are in Operations management is accountable for finding vendors that provide suitable goods at sensible prices and have the capacity to deliver the product as and when required.
- Another huge aspect of operations management includes the delivery of goods to consumers and ensuring that the products are delivered within the agreed time. Operations management also usually follows up with clients to assure the products meet quality and functionality requirements. Lastly, operations management takes the feedback obtained and distributes the appropriate data to each department to utilize in process improvement.
- Operations managers are needed in coordinating and developing innovative processes while re-evaluating contemporary structures. Organizing and productivity are two fundamental factors of being an operations manager, and the function usually entails versatility and variation.
Operations Management Required Skills
Organizing methods in the industry entails a set of skills from outlining and prioritizing through execution to monitoring. These capabilities collectively help the manager attain productivity and effectiveness.
Analytic capabilities/understanding of the process
The ability to understand methods in the field commonly requires a deep understanding of additional functions, too. Attention to detail is usually helpful to go farther into the analysis.
Coordination of processes
Once methods are examined and understood, they could be maximized for the highest effectiveness. Being able to make decisions fast is a real advantage here, along with a sharp focus in solving problems.
Problems in the communications with workers or member of senior management can severely harm productivity, so an operation manager need to have people skills to precisely navigate the co-workers.
Again, problem-solving skills are necessary for a productive approach if things don’t go correctly. When they do, creativity helps to discover new ways to enhance corporate performance.
Operations managers have to be accustomed to the various fundamental technologies used in their businesses and have a more profound knowledge of the particular operation technology at their companies.
It is a complex process to manage the operations, so thorough understanding is required to secure the position of an operation manager. The aspiring candidates are obliged to pursue specialization programs in operation management which give them exceptional knowledge and essential skills about the sector.
Want to Know How We Can Help to take Your Masters in Management Application to Next Level?