Queen’s University Smith School of Business MIM Review
Queen’s University Smith School of Business’s interdisciplinary program offerings and research-intensive environment provide students with the necessary skills to succeed in today’s competitive workforce. The Queens MIM is an exceptional research-focused program, offering an advanced-level conceptual foundation in the interested field. The main line of work with this degree is consulting and research-based careers.
The Master of Science in Advanced Studies in Research (MSc) is an exceptional program that provides an advanced level of conceptual understanding in your chosen field. The program features nine specialisations that are designed to prepare you for success in your chosen field Accounting, Analytics, Business Economics, Finance, International Business, Management, Information Systems, Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Strategy. With these specialisations, you’ll have the opportunity to develop your research skills and improve your analytical abilities. In addition to rigorous courses, the program also features a variety of research opportunities.
The Smith Master of Science in Management program is part of Queen’s University’s School of Graduate Studies. It oversees the admissions process for over 120 graduate programs and provides support services to 4,200 graduate students.
Queens MIM Class Profile
The goal of the Smith School of Business is to create an environment that is inclusive and diverse. It is committed to cultivating a culture of mutual respect and belonging. All members of our community are encouraged to feel valued and included.
Average Work Ex
Queens MIM Acceptance Rate
The Acceptance rate is 20%, which increases the likelihood of students getting enrolled. The student-to-teacher ratio is also very important i.e. 20:1, as it allows students to bridge the gap between teachers and students.
Queen’s University has an above-average acceptance rate, with enrolments increasing year after year. When reviewing a student’s application, the University places a high value on academic merit and relevant experience. As a result, a student must meet both the general admission standards and the program-specific requirements. A student with a solid academic record and competitive grades will have an advantage over their peers. Furthermore, applicants should apply as soon as possible with complete documents to improve their chances of acceptance, as admissions are granted on a first-come, first-served basis. International students can apply for various scholarships offered by the institution, which are available for all degree programmes. In addition, international graduate students are eligible to apply for grants and bursaries offered by the school or department.
Acceptance Rate: 20%
Program and Curriculum of Queens MIM
MSc in Management students are required to choose from the following specialisations options-
- Accounting- This specialisation is designed for those who are interested in pursuing PhD studies in accounting. It provides an in-depth understanding of the concepts and techniques utilised in the study of highly focused research.
- Analytics- This specialisation is ideal for individuals who are interested in developing effective decision-making processes using data. Through this program, they will be able to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in analysing and making decisions.
- Business Economics- Those who are interested in applying economics research to the management of organisations can complete this specialisation. It allows them to study areas such as international trade, industrial organisation, and entrepreneurship.
- Finance- Through this program, students will develop a deeper understanding of financial theory and its applications in corporate finance. They will also explore the various facets of derivatives valuation.
- International Business- This specialisation explores the various ways that globalisation can affect a company’s operations and competitive advantage. It provides a broad overview of the field for aspiring international managers.
- Management Information Systems- This specialisation draws on the various disciplines of digital technology to examine the effects of data on society and individuals. Through research, students can develop effective strategies to improve the management of their organisations’ technology.
- Marketing-This specialisation will prepare students for graduate studies in marketing. It will also provide them with the necessary tools and resources to conduct in-depth research.
- Organisational Behaviour- This specialisation focuses on the study of the behaviour of individuals and groups. It draws on the various disciplines of economics, psychology, and sociology to provide a solid foundation in conducting research related to organisational behaviour.
- Strategy- This specialisation combines the theoretical foundations of economics, sociology, and psychology to examine how organisations relate to their environment. Through a combination of coursework and research, students are able to prepare for a future in industry or academia.
- Advanced Portfolio Management
- Analytical Decision Making
- Consumer-Focused Marketing
- Corporate Valuation and Mergers & Acquisitions
- Creating & Executing Market-Based Strategy
- Decision-making in Competitive Environments
- Digital Execution
- Digital Transformation
- Diversity and Inclusion in Organisations
- Dynamic Strategy Analysis
- Finance Strategy
- Financing of New Ventures
- Global Strategy
- Management Accounting
- Managing Agile Projects
- New Venture Management
- Organisational Intelligence & Strategy
- Pricing Analysis
- Risk Management
- Sales Management
- Strategic Problem Solving and Insights
- Strategic Service Operations
- Strategy Implementation and Change
- Text Analysis
- Tricolour Venture Fund
Many students are involved in various clubs and conferences at Smith. Being able to connect with these groups will allow you to get involved in their activities and provide you with the opportunity to participate in their workshops and other events.
Through participation in these activities, you will be able to enhance your brand awareness and create a stronger connection with your target audiences. It will also allow you to meet the executive team of your company.
- Charity Gala
- Digital Transformation
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Marketing & Sales
- Risk Management
- Scale-up Summit
- Women in Leadership
Eligibility and Requirements for Getting Into Queens MBA
The admission process is competitive and involves a candidate’s academic background, program size, and supporting documents. To be considered, a student must meet the following requirements.
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a B+ (77%) average.
- A GMAT or GRE score – no exceptions will be considered.
- Statement of research interests and career goals.
If English is not your first language, one of two English tests:
IELTS minimum overall score of 7.5
TOEFL minimum overall score of 100 or higher
Students who are not fluent in English may be eligible to apply for a waiver if they have studied at a post-secondary institution that provides instruction in English as the official language. See the application and waiver instructions.
Two academic referees are needed to assess your academic potential and research experience. Although it is not necessary, having this will help strengthen your application.
Document Related to the Application
- Education Transcripts – The marks secured by you in graduation or other previous academic qualifications.
- Resume/CV – This provides a summary of the experience and skills of the student.
- English Language Requirement Scores like TOEFL, IELTS,..etc.
- Financial Documentation – This is to show your financial competency.
- Letter of Recommendation – This document is an acknowledgment of your skills by someone who came in contact with you academically or professionally.
- GMAT or GRE official test score report.
- Statement of Purpose – This is to show your intent for the program.
Queens MIM Deadlines
The program, which begins in September, is designed for individuals who are interested in pursuing their international business goals. It features a variety of international business topics and programs, including cross-cultural leadership and the global economy.
|Round 1||MAY, 2022|
|Round 2||JANUARY, 2023|
Queens MIM Employment/Placement
The Smith Career Advancement Centre also provides seminars, workshops, and conferences that can help you develop and implement effective career strategies. Through the program, you will have access to the Smith Career Advancement Centre’s various services. These include job hunting and training, as well as career advice and resources.
Their team of experienced career coaches can help you develop a strategy and a resume that will help you land a job. They can also help you improve your cover letter and interview skills. Online Resources. The Smith Career Advancement Centre has a wide variety of online resources that can help you connect with other people and find employment opportunities.
AVERAGE STARTING SALARY
Top Sectors Hiring Queens MIM Graduates
Companies Recruiting From QU Smith MIM
- McKinsey & Co.
- Bain & Co.
- A.T. Kearney
- BNP Paribas
- CITI Group
- Western Union
Queens MIM Alumni Info
Smith School of Business provides many resources and services for alumni, including SmithConnect, our exclusive online student and alumni directory and engagement platform, business clubs, networking events, reunion planning, continuous learning opportunities, career services and special offers on a variety of services. As well, the department offers many ways for alumni to give back to their alma mater through sharing their time, knowledge or financial support, to help “pay it forward” to the next generation of business students.
Some Famous Alumni
- Gordon M. “Gord” Nixon – CEO and Director of Royal Bank of Canada
- Chris Viehbacher – Managing Partner of Gurnet Point Capital
- Mary Ann Turcke – President of Bell Media
We have a 97% Success Rate In Helping Applicants Get Into Top Schools Like
Application Essay for Queens MIM
In order to secure a place in business school, applicants must first explain their motivation to pursue this field. They are also asked to provide a brief explanation as to why they want to pursue this degree. Your motivation should not be forced or fabricated and should have an organic source.
Paragraph-1, Your professional experience and academic achievements will also be highlighted in this paragraph. Having gained experience in this field will help you reach your goals and demonstrate your dedication and sincerity. Also, having a strong academic background can help you stand out from the crowd.
Paragraph-2, Your second paragraph should also cover the school’s various clubs and curriculum. It should also include a statement about your desire to work in that country. This can be indicated by your desire to seek help from a career assistance club.
Your long- and short-term goals are also aligned with each other. To achieve your goals, you must develop the necessary skills and knowledge to perform at a high level.
Letter of Recommendation for Queens MIM
The two recommendations that a candidate should receive during the application process is from someone they know well. They should be able to provide insight into their potential as a leader and have anecdotes to share.
Your recommenders will evaluate you based on a set of competencies. For instance-
- A brief description of the interaction the referee had with the applicant will help us identify the candidate’s role in your organisation.
- Feedback that you have given the candidate is often the most important part of the interview process. In addition to the candidate’s response, please describe the circumstances surrounding the interaction.
- How does the applicant’s performance compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?
Interview Questions for QU Smith MIM
Q: Please introduce yourself (or) Tell me something about yourself
Q: Why do you want to pursue the (( COURSE ))?
Q: Why an MBA at this point in your career?
Q: What are your future plans? Or what are your short-term and long-term goals?
Q: Why this particular company? What do you know about this role?
Q: What’s your plan B in case your career plans don’t work out?
Q: Why not study in your home country?
Q: Have you ever lived in any other country or had any sort of interaction with people from different countries?
Q : What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
Q: Which other schools have you targeted and why?
Q: What makes you unique from the other candidates?
Q: What are you passionate about? Give me some examples of how you have shown it.
Q: Tell me about a recent news affair that has caught your attention.
Q: What was your role at your previous job/ Internship?
Q: What is your proudest achievement?
Q: Give an example of when you failed. What did you learn from the experience?
Q: Give us an example of when you showcased leadership skills.
Q: Would you be able to work under pressure with people of different nationalities? Could you give us an example of how you would succeed in this?
Q: How will you add value to the school and your batch mates?
Q: How will a degree from our school help you in the future? Or what will be your key learnings from this degree?
Q: How do you plan to use the resources of the school?
Q: Can you tell me how were you able to get the “Z” result, in this internship you had undertaken? What were the steps you took?
Q: What are the skills required to enter (COMPANY)? Which skills do you have already and which skills do you need to develop?.
Q: How do you plan to deal with placement opportunities? Getting a work visa can be tricky
Q: How would you translate your teamwork from your past experiences to the environment at ((school))?
Q: The work you did on project X seems interesting, can you elaborate on the same?
Q: What has been your biggest obstacle so far and how have you conquered it?
Q: Tell us about a time when things didn’t go the way you wanted— like a promotion you wanted and didn’t get, or a project that didn’t turn out how you had hoped?
Q: What according to you is the best way to inspire people?
Q What does Leadership mean to you?
Q: Give us an overview of your experiences so far.
What Makes Queens MIM Unique
Here are a few facts about Queen’s University Smith School of Business that makes it unique-
- Smith School of Business provides funding upto $26,000 for the study of Master of Science in Business Administration (MSc) students. This includes various sources such as university grants, international tuition awards, and research assistantships.
- Queen’s Library provides students with a variety of services and resources. There are over three million physical volumes of journal articles and over 80,000 e-journals available. In addition to these, there are also multiple search tools that can help students find information.
- The Goodes Hall, which houses the Smith School of Business, is a magnificent Victorian schoolhouse that has been restored to its original design. It was named after Mel Goodes, who was a Commerce ’57 graduate and the former Chairman and CEO of the international pharmaceutical company, Warner-Lambert.
- Queen’s University is located in the heart of Kingston, Ontario. This vibrant city offers a variety of great facilities and is close to major cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and the U.S.
- Queen’s students live within 15 minutes of campus, which eliminates the need for long commutes. This closeness allows them to feel like they are part of the university community.
Queen’s University believes in inspirational learning with and aid of an inclusive and collaborative community. With the Queens MIM, you can connect students and diverse fellows to communities and places where you can collaborate knowledge and know things. Many of the graduates are already leading in the industry. The institute is known globally, hence can provide you with all the carer opportunities you can hope for in business and management. Start preparing now, as the program is quite competitive.
THE ULTIMATE MASTERCLASS
"STUDY ABROAD 101"
7 Step Game Plan to Build your Profile for 2023 Intake
Limited Slots Left
What is the tuition fee charged for the Queens Smith MIM?
The tuition fee charged for the Queen’s Smith MIM is $15,000 CAD/year.
What is the duration of the Queen Smith MIM program?
The duration of the Queen Smith MIM program is 12 months and it starts in September.
When does the admission committee declare the admission decision?
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications to the School of Graduate Studies at the earliest opportunity. The Graduate Committee will review the applications and make recommendations to the admissions officers in April.
Does Queen Smith MIM provide funding?
Smith School of Business provides competitive funding for all students. Those who are interested in external funding can also apply through the SSHRC or OGS.
Check out what our Past clients say about our Services