5 Essential details about GRE Exam Fee 2021
Educational Training Service (ETS) is an organization that conducts GRE. GRE is a globally accepted examination that students require to go abroad for studies. GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. Students can give GRE on paper or online. GRE has two types which are GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test. Students have the opportunity to give this exam five times a year, and the score obtained is valid for five years.
The graduate and management schools in countries like the USA, U.K., Australia etc., accept the GRE score of the students. GRE General Test has three sections;
- Verbal Reasoning
- Analytical Writing
- Quantitative Reasoning.
There are six sections in GRE Subject Test:
GRE General Test is for 3 hours 45 minutes whereas GRE Subject Test is for 2 hours 50 minutes. GRE General Test is for 3 hours 45 minutes whereas GRE Subject Test is for 2 hours 50 minutes.
For GRE 2021, there are specific changes made by ETS due to the ongoing pandemic. There is a new “at-home” examination option for students who want to give the exam from home instead of exam centres. For at-home examination, Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) technologies and live proctors will monitor the examination of the student. The students who wish to re-appear for the exam can give the exam 16 days from the first test. The students can give the exam five times a year for GRE General Test and three times for GRE Subject Test. The final score is sent online and not in the hardcopy format. This exam does not demand a minimum age limit, work experience or qualification. The things required are legal documents like a passport for verification of the student. For Indian candidates, the legal document required is the passport.
2021 GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test Fee
The two types of GRE have different fee amount. The ETS gave the new update for the 2021 GRE exam fee on their official website. The GRE General Test fee is U.S. $213, which approximately is INR 15,600. The GRE Subject Test fee is U.S. $105, which approximately is INR 11,000. The fee needs to be paid during the registration process of the exam.
Five essential details that all candidates giving GRE General Test or GRE Subject Test in 2021 should know:
1. At-home GRE Exam Registration
The ETS has now come up with a new mode for the students to give the GRE. This new mode is an at-home examination of the GRE. At- home exam option is for those students who want to give the exam from their home. The government introduced this option due to the ongoing global pandemic of the Covid-19 virus. This mode of examination is safe for the students. As per Indian government laws, social distancing needs to be followed by the citizens, and more and more people should be inside their homes. This option helps students to follow government guidelines and be safe in their homes.
The at-home exam will be very similar to what it is when given in the exam centre. The format, content, etc., will be the same. The appointment of an at-home exam will be readily available, and candidates can book it at any hour and day of the week. The registration process of the at-home exam is the while registering for the GRE; you have to select the “Test at Home” option under the “Find Test Centres and Dates” option. The students opting for this mode of GRE need to have their own desktop computer or laptop at home. It can be Mac or P.C. For a smooth experience; the students should use chrome or Firefox browser to give the exam. The computer should have a working speaker and a working microphone. Before giving the exam, you need to download the ETS secure test browser to help you run your exam.
At-home exam requirements
You also need to use ProctorU Equipment Check. Make sure to reconfigure or disable some of your application to not hinder during the exam. Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) technology and a human proctor who will be live during the exam with the student during the test will monitor the students. The students need to have a camera that moves around if the proctor asks to look at the student’s surroundings giving the exam. Headsets or earphones are not permitted during the exam. It would be best if you were alone for the entire duration of the exam. It would help if you were not in any kinds of public places while appearing for the GRE. Your face and ears should be adequately visible to the proctor.
If you require to take notes during the test, the use of paper is not allowed, and students will need another window on the computer for the same.
During the exam, if you need to interact with the proctor, you can leave the message in the chatbox available on your screen. Do not move away from the camera as it will counts as unfair means during the exam. The candidates will be given a 10-minute break after the third section of the exam in which you can leave your seat only for 10-minutes. There will also be one-minute breaks between the other sections. In the one-minute breaks, you need to be seated and not leave the room. You must return on time. You cannot take breaks on your own.
2. GRE Exam Fee Registration Process
GRE exam fee registration process is a simple process in which you book your exam appointment. You need to follow the seven easy steps to register for the exam. The steps are as follows:
- Open the official website of ETS.
- ETS conduct the GRE examination, and have an official website with all the updates regarding the GRE. When you open the ETS website, you will have to select the grey ETS account option.
- Create an account
- After the first step, you will create an account. As with any other website, you will have to create an account if you have not created it earlier. You will then click on the “Create an Account” button on the website.
- Fill up personal information.
- The third step will include giving your personal information. The website will redirect the page to a form where you will have to fill up personal details. The details will be fundamental, like your Name, Address, E-mail, Gender etc.
- Username and Password
- The fourth step will be to set up a username and a strong password for your account. Make sure to keep a solid and new password that you do not use for any other account. There will also be a security question. Then, you will receive an e-mail on your registered e-mail id, and you will have to verify it.
- Registration for the appointment
- The fifth step is to book yourself an appointment by registering yourself. After completing the basic steps of login, a home page will be opened up for you in which there will be a button saying “Register/Find Test Centres, Dates”. You will have to select that button for the registration process.
- Fill up the GRE form.
- The sixth step is to fill in your options about the GRE. You will then see a new form in which you will have to fill up test type, test centre, date etc., as per your own choice. Be careful while filling the form as the changes may charge extra money later.
- Payment of GRE fees
-The last and final step is how to pay for GRE in India. After verifying all your details, you will have to pay the GRE fees through different payment option like debit card, credit card, PayPal etc.
The GRE exam application fee payment is done through many different payment modes. For computer-based tests and paper-based tests, Credit/Debit Card (American Express, China UnionPay, Diners Club International, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and Visa), PayPal, E-Check Service (drawn against U.S. bank accounts only) and Money Order/Certified Check/Voucher can be used for the payment of GRE exam application fee. There is another GRE exam fee payment mode which is payment by personal paper check. In this case, the check date cannot be more than 90 days old; it has to have a preprinted check number, the name of the bank and the band address has to be reprinted on the face of the check and the name of the payee or candidate with the address need to be on the check. The candidates cannot pay GRE exam fee through cash.
3. All about the special handling GRE exam fees
The GRE exam fee, which the student pays during the registration process, does not include some other charges. There are some special handling fees which are to be paid in certain situations. If the student for any reason wants to change the centre of the test, then a separate charge of U.S. $50, which is approximately INR 3,600. If the registered exam is not given on the day appointed and the student needs to reschedule the examination, an extra charge of U.S. $50, which is approximately INR 3,600, is to be paid. There are also test material available by ETS on their website. The candidates wanting the test materials can purchase, and the fees range between the U.S. $20- the U.S. $72, which is approximately INR 1,400 – INR 5,200.
4. Can the GRE exam fee be reduced?
Many students wish to give the GRE exam but somehow lack the financial requirement for the exam. To help the students, ETS offered a GRE exam fee reduction voucher. This voucher helps in reducing the fees by 50%. The condition for this voucher is that you can use this voucher for one GRE General Test and/or one GRE Subject Test. The students opting for the voucher also get access to test materials for free, which is usually U.S. $100, which is approximately INR 7,300.
But to get the reduction voucher for the GRE exam fee, the students need to be eligible. The eligibility criteria to get the fee reduction voucher are as follows:
- You must be a citizen of the U.S. or a resident alien
- If in case you are unemployed, then you must be 18 years of age or above. You must be unemployed at the moment or six months back. You will also be asked to provide unemployment proof in which you have to submit an Unemployment Benefits Statement for the last 90 days.
- If you are an unenrolled college student, you need to have a SAR, which will help in showing that you have a status of self-supporting and a maximum contribution of U.S. $3000.
- In case of a college senior, you are required to have a FAFSA Student Aid Report, which reflects the contribution of your parents of a maximum U.S. $2500.Therefore, if you are self-supporting, then the maximum contribution needs to be US$3000.
5. National Programmes in the United States that helps you in GRE exam fee
There are programmes which help the students with the GRE exam fee. These programmes help those students who need financial help, who are first-generation students or are from underrepresented groups. The U.S. based national programmes are as follows:
- Education USA Opportunity Fund Program
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Management Leaders of Tomorrow
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- NSF Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
Q.1 Is there any special GRE exam fee for the at-home exam?
- No, the GRE General Test fee is U.S. $213, which is approximately INR 15,600, and the GRE Subject Test fee is U.S. $105, which approximately is INR 11,000, for other special handling fees, refer to the above blog.
Q.2 Is there any GRE exam fee reduction voucher for Indian citizens?
- As of now, the reduction voucher is for U.S. citizens and the resident alien. Unfortunately, Indian citizens are not eligible for the Reduction Programme. To know more about the reduction programme, check the eligibility criteria in the above blog.
Q.3 What is the duration of the GRE at-home exam?
- The duration of the GRE General Test and the GRE Subject Test at home will be the same as on centre examination. The duration of the GRE General Test will be 3 hours 45 minutes, and GRE Subject Test will be 2 hours 50 minutes. There will be no change in the duration of the exam.
Q.4 What kind of study materials are given by ETS if we purchase them separately?
- ETS provides the students with free test materials which can be easily accessible. Still, suppose you want to purchase other material. In that case, it will consist of POWERPLUS online, which contains three practice tests, The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, Third Edition, Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions, Official GRE Value Combo (eBook Only), Official GRE Super Power Pack, ScoreItNow Online Writing Practice.
Q.5 Can the GRE exam be given by phone or tablet?
- No, the GRE exam is given only through devices that are not handheld. The students can use computer desktop or laptops to give the exam, and also students should not use earphones or headsets.