SMU MBA Review
The Singapore Management University MBA is designed to shape executives and managers into versatile and dynamic leaders that businesses need. With a rigorous and interactive curriculum that captures the forefront of management research and proven approaches in management practice, you will be grounded in business fundamentals and exposed to various opportunities to lead, collaborate, analyse business decisions, strategise and execute business plans.
Applying for MBA at SMU?
Talk to Our Experts and find out how we can 3x your Admit Chance
SMU MBA Introduction
SMU MBA Class Profile
The average full-time MBA class at SMU has 60 students from various backgrounds. In addition, the MBA cohort typically includes students from over 20 countries with a diverse range of professional backgrounds and industries, ensuring a truly global learning experience.
Average Work Ex
SMU MBA Acceptance Rate
Some business schools are more challenging to get into than others. Therefore, MBA acceptance and yield rates are vital statistics to know which business schools’ application processes are highly competitive.
Singapore Management University has a 49 per cent acceptance rate, indicating that it is slightly selective. Take this with a grain of salt because you’ll still need an outstanding resume to get in. Navigating the admissions process can be a daunting endeavour as a foreign applicant. Receiving advice from a student studying there is a rare opportunity to make a significant impact.
Program and Curriculum of Singapore management university
With Singapore Management University’s unique emphasis on leadership and communication skills, our innovative and unconventional curriculum feature several classes, of which MBA students must complete eight modules that make up our core curriculum. In addition, you are required to take a minimum of 10 electives based on your interests and knowledge gaps to complement these core modules. The electives offered are subject to change every year.
- Corporate Finance
- Managerial Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Operations Management
- Strategic Management
- Leading Digital Transformation
- Organisational Behaviour and Leadership
Electives are offered in the following areas:
Accounting and Finance
->Mergers and Acquisitions
->Valuation and Financial Modelling
->Financial Innovation and Alternative Investments
Leadership and Operations
->Negotiating in Business
->Supply Chain Strategy and Management
->Risk Management in Global Supply Chains
->Business Value of Digital Disruptions – CXO Perspectives
->Integrity, Responsibility and Good Governance in Business
Management and Strategy
->Managing Strategic Change
->Global Economy- Issues & Challenges
->Ideation Management & Design Thinking
Communications and Marketing
->Digital Marketing Strategy
->Advanced Marketing Strategy
->Crafting and Providing Services
->Applied Marketing Research and Analytics
->Marketing: Integrated Strategy with Execution
->Communication, Corporate Reputation and Brand Management
SMU student groups offer relevant co-curricular activities (CCAs) outside of the classroom for personal enrichment. For example, the Arts & Cultural Fraternity (ACF), SMU Sports Union (SSU), SMU Xtremists (SMUX), and Special Interest & Community Services Sodality are four non-school Constituent Bodies (SICS). Students can also join various leadership and functional student organisations, international student clubs, and self-governing registered societies.
Some of the most famous clubs are
SMU Special Interest & Community Services Sodality (SICS) Non-school constituent body focused on special interests and community services.
- SMU Accounting Society (ASOC) School of Accountancy constituent body.
- SMU Business Society (Bondue) Lee Kong Chian School of Business constituent body.
- SMU Economics Society (Oikos) School of Economics constituent body.
Eligibility and Requirements for getting into Singapore Management University
• A good undergraduate degree.
• A good score in GMAT(600)/GRE OR SMU Admission Test (T-Score 55/80).
• TOEFL/ IELTS is required if the medium of instruction for undergraduate studies is not in English.
The prerequisites for admission
Candidates with an undergraduate GPA that matches the program’s standards from local autonomous universities (NUS, NTU, SUTD, SIT, and SUSS/SIM) can apply.
Candidates with a GPA of less than 3.5 from local autonomous universities will be required to demonstrate some other academic quality score (e.g. GMAT, GRE, SMU Admissions Test).
After graduation, an undergraduate GPA is valid for five years.
Singapore Management University MBA Deadlines
Candidates are advised to submit their applications before the earlier deadlines, as spaces in the SMU MBA program and scholarships may be limited by Deadline 3.
Near deadlines, they usually receive a surge of applications. Therefore, they recommend that you begin your application as soon as possible to avoid the burden of fulfilling our application deadlines, including gathering required documents and waiting for your referee reports.
1st Round- 15 March
2nd Round- 15 July
3rd Round- 31 October
SMU MBA Employment
Throughout your SMU MBA journey, you will have endless opportunities to interact with top business leaders and industry experts. This privilege is made possible through our extensive linkages with the business community. For example, the Advisory Board of the Lee Kong Chian School of Business comprises some of Singapore’s top business leaders. They also offer invaluable advice on the SMU MBA programme and the professional development of our students.
AVERAGE STARTING SALARY
Top Sectors hiring SMU MBA Graduates
- Citi Bank
- Ernst & Young
- Matchmove Pay
- McKinsey & Co.
- Bain & Co.
SMU MBA Alumni info
There are currently 14 official Overseas Alumni Chapters and 15 Overseas Alumni Representatives keeping in contact with SMU’s more than 25,000 alumni locally and overseas. So if you are new to the country or region, or just passing through, get in touch with the respective alumni and build your professional and social network.
Some Famous Alumni
- Pritam Singh – Member of the Parliament of Singapore
- Arnoud De Meyer – Director of the Judge Business School of the University of Cambridge
- Alvin Poh – Co-founder of Vodien Internet Solutions
We have a 97% Success Rate In Helping Applicants Get Into Top Schools Like
Application Essay for SMU MBA
The application has two short essays of 500 and 300 words respectively.
- Essay 1) Why do you want to earn an MBA, and why are you choosing to apply to SMU? If you are selected, how will you contribute to the SMU MBA programme? (500 words)
- Essay 2) Describe your greatest weakness and how you have tried to overcome it. (300 words)
Letter of Recommendation for SMU MBA
The most important thing to remember about graduate school letters of recommendation is that they must be written by someone who has professional knowledge of you. Each recommender’s LoR should, in theory, highlight a variety of characteristics. Your Letter of Recommendation may be used to evaluate your financial aid application. As a result, a large LoR is required. Send the required number of letters (no less and no more).
Because most universities require three letters of recommendation, approach three different persons with differing levels of interaction; remember that your recommendation letter should add value to your application by demonstrating how relevant the programme is to you. The LOR should be brief, concise, and to the point to be the most impressive. It’s important to remember that this is a separate letter that should never be attached to a resume. This is the most crucial reason why applications may be denied or declined. Rather than a tough mentor who is challenging to deal with, an applicant frequently receives a recommendation from someone they have a solid relationship with and who is easy to work with.
As a result, having a thorough conversation ahead of time and mentioning the need for a recommendation letter before submitting a formal request for one is crucial. The recommender should have a quick remark and an outline of your qualifications before writing your letter of recommendation.
Interview Questions for SMU MBA
You will have the opportunity to meet with a representative from the college during an interview. It’s a great way to show your interest in the college, build a relationship with the people who work there, and show who you are. However, interviewing is a skill that needs practice to be mastered. Request that one of your parents, teachers, college counsellors, or friends give you some of their favourite college interview questions.
Remember that matching is essential for getting into college (and staying happy there). You want to be yourself so the interviewer can figure out if you’re a good fit. You have multiple personalities, so show off your professional, mature, and composed side.
Set 1 MBA
- Tell me about your proudest high school achievement.
- Tell me about your life’s biggest blunder.
- Why do you wish to pursue this field of study?
- Why did you choose SMU?
- Every morning, how many text messages are sent?
- What are your thoughts on Singapore’s educational system?
Set 2 MBA
- Could you please walk me through your resume?
- Tell me about a complex scenario you’ve encountered and how you dealt with it.
- What are your long and short-term objectives?
- Why did you decide to get your MBA at SMU?
- Tell me about your professional development.
- Why would you risk your career by pursuing an MBA when you are already in a solid position?
- Talk about a time when you had to deal with a challenging team or teammate, and how did you handle that experience?
What makes SMU MBA Unique
- SMU is a business and management-focused university commonly referred to as Singapore’s national business university.
- SMU was established by the Singapore Ministry of Education and modelled after the Wharton School. Our interactive seminar-style classes groom you to be a great communicator and team player.
- Smaller class size allows for lively interaction with your classmates and one-on-one attention from your professors.
- The emphasis on leadership, communication and negotiation skills, and analytical skills, provides you with valuable skill-sets highly sought after by companies.
- Case studies feature strongly in our curriculum to provide you with real-world learning. SMU’s Case Writing Initiative produces case studies focusing on Asian companies, and these supplement case studies written on Western companies. With Asia growing as an economic powerhouse, understanding Asian business practices are becoming ever more critical.
THE ULTIMATE MASTERCLASS
"STUDY ABROAD 101"
7 Step Game Plan to Build your Profile for 2023 Intake
Limited Slots Left
What kind of academic credentials do I require?
We look for people that have a solid foundational degree. However, we consider various other factors in your application, including your motivation and desire.
Is it necessary to have a background in finance or business?
No, we accept students from various walks of life and professional experiences, and we seek out individuals who will enrich the classroom experience.
Is it necessary to pick between the part-time and full-time programmes when I apply?
Yes, we ask that you choose whatever programme most suits your needs, as we will attempt to construct a diverse class for each programme. Requests to move from one programme to another will be considered, but no guarantees will be given.
Is it possible to apply before taking the GMAT?
Before taking the GMAT, you can submit your application. On the other hand, admission decisions will not be made until the GMAT score is obtained.
Is there any financial help or scholarships available for the MBA programme?
Several scholarships are available for both full-time and part-time MBA students at SMU. After being accepted into the programme, students can apply for scholarships. The award amount might be up to 30% of the tuition expenses. There are no bonds attached to the scholarships. Singapore nationals and Permanent Residents can also take advantage of several bank student loans with reasonable rates and terms.
Check out what our Past clients say about our Services